Remember Me Red

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Kindergarten!

We have a Kindergartener! Yes, Maya is starting Kindergarten tomorrow. A couple of weeks ago we went out to buy her school supplies. I expected something like a Hello Kitty notebook and folder, but when we got to the store she saw a notebook that she just had to have. . . . . Justin Beiber! I don’t know how she even knows who he is, but apparently she does. I tried to change her mind by showing her the Hello Kitty ones, but it was to no avail. I was successful on the choice of folder however, so we ended up with a Justin Beiber notebook and a cute kitten folder. Last night was “Back to School Night”, where we got to go in and meet her teacher, see the classroom and take in all of her school supplies. Her teacher, Ms. Ferguson, seemed really nice. I thought I was fine with the whole Kindergarten thing, thinking it wouldn’t really be that much different than sending her to daycare every day. Then I read the poem that the teacher gave us:



The First Day

I gave you a little wink and smile

As you entered my room today.

For I know how hard it is to leave

And know your child must stay.

You've been with her for five years now

And have been a loving guide,

But now, alas, the time has come

To leave her at my side.

Just know that as you drive away

And tears down your cheeks may flow

I'll love her as I would my own

And help her learn and grow.

So please put your mind at ease

And cry those tears no more

For I will love her and take her in

When you leave her at my door.


Okay, that made my eyes tear up a little. So, this morning I dropped Maya off at Kool Kids Child Care for the last time. She has been there since I went back to work after we brought her back from China nearly 5 years ago. We made a little thank you card and flower for the two teachers she has had for the last two years, Ms. Deb and Ms. Becki. She gave Ms. Becki hers this morning and as they talked the tears started forming in my eyes again. I guess this might be harder than I thought. Maya is super excited though. She keeps saying she can’t believe she’s starting Kindergarten tomorrow! I bet she won't sleep much tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment